View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
Salty

Wind and Halibut: DP 2-21-21

I'd be lying if I said I didn't like big butts, but it seems I've only been able to find the small ones lately... Abandoned plans to hit LJ on Sunday due to the unwelcoming surf and wind forecasts heading into the weekend. Decided to just cruise around Dana Point Harbor. Put my first bait on the hook, dropped it down and got bit on the first drift, landing a little halibut. It was just under size (again...) though. Not much luck after that. Hid from the wind for the most part inside the harbor. Eventually I went about a mile south of the harbor and the wind was brutal. But I stuck it out for a while with a Carolina setup and ended up hooking up to something much bigger, which I fought for a few minutes. Didn't get to see what it was because it shook the hook somehow so close to the surface I could see my weight, but not the fish. Tried a few more passes out there, then decided to call it quits and have lunch and a break on the sandbar before heading in. Not a bad day, considering the conditions through most of the morning.

Also, my buddy lost his paddle in the rough chop heading out of the Harbor. It's the standard one that comes with the newer Outbacks: Black 2-piece Hobie with black paddles. Assuming it's gone forever, but at least worth a try. I have him crap, as friends do, for not having it leashed in as my own paddle sat next to me thoroughly un-leashed as well... If anyone stumbles across it and wants to let me know, that would be awesome!
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote