View Single Post
Old 07-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
jlabs63

La Jolla -7/27: Nice Yellowtail with my new Pal

My wife and kids are out of town, so I had to get it on. I launched the RIB with my new pal Bluewater Jon, yesterday morning around 7 AM. No surf to speak of. Bait was tough to find, but we were able to make about six 5-7" GBs. We started trolling south, but The current was ripping so hard that we couldn't keep our speed under 3.5+, so we turned around.

We were marking a ton of bait and fish mid-column and near the bottom, so we threw on a 4 oz egg and that was the ticket. We were hooked up within 15 minutes, due west of the condo in about 100-110'. He made 4 or 5 nice runs, so we thought he was going to be a fatty. We got him to the boat in under 15 minutes and I sunk a perfect head shot.

Here is where the amateur hour begins....

He was bleeding everywhere, so I held him over the side while Jon tried to cut his gills. Of course a dog grabbed him and the tug-o-war was on. Luckily he only had him by the tail and we were able to horse him onto the boat. Then my boy Jon pulls out his knife to brain him and I had to remind him that we are in an inflatable raft! Sorry Jon, had to do it.

I estimate he was about 18 lbs. I had the heavy gear out today. Caught on a Shimano Tyrannous 20;
Carolina Rig: 4 oz
65# braid
6' of 30# Fluro

On the way in, we ran into a huge pod of porpoise. They were swimming and jumping next to the boat for about 5 miuntes. I have a video but cant figure out how to upload it.
Attached Images

jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote