Thread: 2 for 1
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
Amish Ed

2 for 1

Here's a late report and a timely report. Last Sat and today I fished Newport, launched from the USCG/HP beach. Both times I fished from about 6:30-9:30am.

Last Week I launched to cloudy skies and little to no wind. Water was dirty green with not a lot of debris. Current was moving decently. I hit the buoy line right away and stayed all morning. In the first hour and a half I had right around 9 fish. 5 of them legal spotties. It was super fun as they were biting anything on the underspin. Best bait though was a 1/2oz Coolbaits underspin with a 3" BPS Speed Shad in silver/black flake. Once the sun burned through around 8:00, the bite really died. The last hour and a half I only had 3 more short spotties.

This week Landwhale and I fished it together. There was clouds and wind from the get go. Clouds burned off around 8 or 8:30, then it got hot. Unfortunately, the bite was way different from last week. I got 1 legal spottie and that's it. Steve had 2 bass, 1 was legal. There was almost no current and lots of debris in the water. Same dirty green. I cycled through about 10 patterns through out the morning and only a brown and white underspin with a hologram flake won. I think I had maybe 5 bites all morning. We still managed to have fun and I look forward to next week. Dana perhaps?