View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #44
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Here's a couple for you guys. Lowrance elite 7 chirp. All surface, noise clarity etc... turned off. Sensitivity 63% colorline 78% ... I found it marks pretty good and i can decipher what type of fish is under the boat but I'm thinking of switching to medium chirp or 200hz vs. 83hz so I have a better understanding of what is directly under me. Thoughts?
Attachment 24664
Attachment 24665
Attachment 24666
I have not found chirp settings that I like yet, but I am new to them. I like both high and low sonar frequencies, but for different reasons. The low frequencies (and their associated larger cone angles) are better for finding areas of fish and structure. You are scanning about 4 times the area, with double the cone angle. Knowing what is right underneath you is overrated, unless you are a Lobster fisherman or fish pretty deep structure.

The high frequency is better at indicating what you are looking at (based on the colors), assuming that both your sensitivity and colorline are not too high nor too low. If all of the targets (including bait schools) return the hardest color of your chosen pallet, then you are probably too high in one or both (in either frequency type). But, in my experience, the high frequency can be better fine tuned to return color differences between species. As with all other marks, the size of (and distance to) the target are going to play a part in what you see on the screen for any particular settings.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote