View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
goldenglory18

Next Project - Bait Tube

So now that my electronics rig is almost complete, and I'll be able to better locate inshore structure, I think its time to tackle live bait storage.

I've decided to try my hand at making a bait tube. For this I've gone with a 2', 4" diameter ABS tube with drainage covers for the caps. I will have a hinged (solid brass) opening for bait access, and will bungee cord the access door for security, and run a line through the tube to secure the caps shut (instead of cement for ease of cleaning.)

For those of you that have gone this route before, have you felt that just having the ends open gives enough water flow to keep the bait alive? I've seen some that have cross-drilled the tubes and can't decide if that would make it any better or if its worth the hassle (its a lot more of a hassle for me as most of my drilling/cutting is dremmel based these days. Yay SoCal apartment living...)

Also, does the ABS tube cause enough buoyancy that you don't need to add a float? I'd like to have this trailed behind me while paddling and have it pinned next to me while I fish/drift so I'll need to add hardware somewhere on it for that.

Looking forward to everyone's suggestions!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote