View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 06:59 AM   #16
PapaDave

Two incidents here...

First, was out in the PA17 about 200 yards off the beach, swells were maybe three to four feet, doable. I was in a deeper area so they faded as they came over a reef further out. Except one... Ever surf in a PA17? Kayak swamped, waves kept going over me and a passenger. I pulled the rip cord on the guests life jacket but somewhere along the line mine went bye bye. After about half an hour we got close to the beach and were bombarded by waves. Life guards finally showed up and dragged us and the kayak up on the beach where we got warmed up. The guest never went out again, don't know why.

Second, was fishing along the beach playing with the leopard sharks, hooked up on a heavy one that barely moved. saw it off about 75 feet in dirty water and it wasn't a leopard, kind of grey. It sank back down. Thinking I had a soupfin or something, I continued to bring it to the kayak. It cruised under the kayak, still couldn't see it, thought I was winning the fight when it popped up under my kayak. I froze, swimming out from under my kayak was a huge GW, as long as my PA14, I could have pet it. I froze, the darn thing didn't even know it was hooked as it nonchalantly cruise out in front of me. Then it realized it was hooked and with a swish of the tail took off breaking my line like it wasn't there. I have to say, those things are massive up close, vids don't do it justice. I returned to the harbor to change my pants.

The GW stayed in the area for several months, came around to check me out nearly every time I went out, I named it Bob. It has since moved on.