View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
JoeBeck

Pepper harvest celebration – Yes a fishing report

Some of the peppers we grew this year

This story starts last weekend when Shiloh and I decided we would again fish the point loma kelp outside of sunset cliffs this Saturday (yesterday). Both of us have been looking forward for the long workweek to end so we could enjoy a day on the water. Mostly excited because I sold my Tarpon 160 last week, and that same day jumped on a deal for a Trident 13. Saturday would be the perfect day to take it out with us on its first voyage.

new trident

Overall the fishing was great. Really fishing is always great. We launched from mission bay at sunrise. While paddling out to the fishing ground my Rapala got hammered for my 1st fish on this yak, a Thresher shark tail hooked. We were able to unhook and release the fish without it hitting me with his tail and hooking me with my own lure.

We fished until the afternoon using a dropper loop with squid, I threw the iron to no takers and Shiloh fished a lead head hooked with squid. I caught plenty of small sandbass and rockfish all released and Shiloh took care of this weekend’s dinner.

When I returned home I was going to post a report before going out to watch the incredible Pacquiao vs Margarito fight. But unfortunately my eyes were led to another post when logging on to this forum, a bunch of men whining, talking about rules, how to post, when you can post and not, so on. Hammering a simple fishing report. Censorship. So I passed.

This morning I woke, had breakfast, and logged on again to read more of the same what I call nonsense. I was going to comment, wrote something up then decided I did not want to get wrapped up in it, I was actually kind of bothered since I enjoy fishing and reading reports so much. I laid around and pondered how grown adults could get so wrapped up in a forum, how individuals could try to tell me when, where and how I can post on a public comment board designed for fish reports and shared knowledge. This is when I snapped out of it and thought about the wonderful day I had on the water yesterday and how we still had fresh fish to prepare for tonight’s dinner. Furthermore I thought about how fortunate my wife and I were to have a decent harvest on Beck Farms this year. More peppers than I know what to do with,… fresh fish to eat caught by my wife….. sunny day out…..it is on! Pepper harvest celebration. This is what life is about, living off the land and enjoying beautiful sunny days on the water, on a plastic boat, catching fish, pretty simple right. Big, small it makes no difference, even if I don’t catch a fish who cares, only means I have bean and cheese burritos instead of fish tacos. When the sun is on our faces and we catch fish, we should celebrate, today a pepper harvest celebration from the fruits of our small yard along with fresh fish from the ocean we fish.

The menu:

Fresh rockfish ceviche with serrano, Fresh habanero salsa, homemade tortilla chips

Peruvian purple chile and Thai dragon chili peppered fish tacos (sandbass)

Mexican rice with poblano peppers, smoked Cayenne pepper black beans, freshly made hot red pepper sauce, green pepper hot sauce, and mango habanero hot sauce.

Even my brother and law enjoyed the fruits of our labor.

Cheers, go enjoy our beautiful land and sea.

Last edited by JoeBeck; 11-14-2010 at 08:30 PM.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote