View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
brew
I Exercise Fish

Bob,

Yes, we did go and it was great. We took 12 days and made a stop in Asuncion and fished for a day on the way down and back just to break up the drive.

Great calico fishing in Asunción as you already know... but you want to hear about Mag Bay!
The first day we barely made it to our beach spot before dark. I will give you all of the location details before you guys go (If I'm not with you). It's about 7 miles of dirt road north of Lopez Matteo's (no 4wd needed).
The first day we fished straight out from camp and caught some small spotties, small corvina, and a couple of small broomtail groupers. Fun day and great conditions!

The second day we went further north and added halibut, pompano, and some sort of Jack species. Also some nice broomtail grouper for light gear (8-10lbers). Also, the corvina were nicer as well... maybe 20"ers.

The third day we fished south and found a deep (30'?) hole with current pouring in from the boca. We fished here with nonstop fish every cast action for almost two hours. Corvina, pompano, and jacks were very aggressive and were literally fighting each other to get to our lures. This was a spot none of us will ever forget. Top water, poppers, crocs, kastmasters, Lc's, everything was working! After that we drifted along some channels along the mangrove islands and found some mangrove jacks, and several very large corvina (one measured at 28"). Also saw something huge come out and take a swipe at a hooked pompano (I'll bring some bigger lures next time!)

This was our best day of fishing, but we were beat from a averaging almost 20mi/day. Didn't even feel it with the fishing being so good, but standing up straight after all day was rough. Two revos and one guy in a paddle kayak. My legs felt fine actually as it was an easy pace with lots of time stopped fishing, but sitting for all day got me a bit. I used to think the couple of guys that yaked to Catalina from Long Beach were crazy, but now i am thinking about doing it sometime.

Tons of great/cheap meals, met some cool people, and had a great time overall. I subscribe to the "bs without pics" philosophy, so I will be writing up a more complete report with pics of fish, meals, some great sunsets, our beach camp, etc.

Last edited by brew; 03-28-2017 at 07:22 PM.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote