View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
filippo

Exclamation La Jolla 6-18. Fish on! Wait, it’s my foot! (((PIC)))

Sorry guys, I don’t post here much but simply because I don’t catch fish haha. Still trying to get my first YT at La Jolla and I’m sure that day will come soon. Just posting to share some lessons learned and hoping it’ll help others making the right decision before hitting the water.

I always leave my lures/hooks exposed attached to my line on all my rods. Sabiki setup as well. Today my landing wasn’t perfect and I was thrown out of my yak and got my Rapala CountDown Magnum 14’s hooked onto my foot. Holy shit that was painful! What was even more painful was that the lure wasn't just hanging lose on line, but it was stuck on the rod's tip, with the rod bent putting pressure on my skin. On top of that, add 100lb of my kayak sitting on that rod with that lure stuck onto my foot while waves were splashing against me. All I could do was holding on to my flipped kayak so that it wouldn't move and drag the rod/hook away from my foot, and screaming for help haha. It felt like that hook was ripping my skin off! PAINFUL! Luckily my buddy @dingokevin and another kayaker on the beach helped me flipped the kayak back and bring my stuff to shore. Not sure who the other guy was, but if you're reading this, THANK YOU!

Last but not least, I have a Scion tC (sedan car) and it got stuck in sad today, more than once. Thanks to my buddy @dingokevin and those extra 2-3 guys pushing my car through it!

What a day! :S

Other than that, it was a beautiful day on the water.

Lesson learned:

* Never launch/land with hooks/lures exposed and attached to your rods! NEVER!
* Always carry a first aid kit, on the water!
* Always carry cutting pliers!
* Buy a truck haha

Peace.

Won’t post pics of post hook removal because it’s too bloody.

Last edited by filippo; 06-18-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Edit
filippo is offline   Reply With Quote