Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post
I hit Dana yesterday
launched dark-30
4 mi out and back
no tuna, some bait balls, some terns here and there
lots of dolphins in the afternoon

almost died part...

Was early morning still, about 2 mi out.
While still heading straight out I noticed a yacht type fishing boat(rather big) at full throttle on a collision course to me heading southbound. I started paddling faster to get outta the way, he corrected course to keep at me. So I stopped paddling thinking that would do it, but he corrected course again to keep at me. I could see the skipper at the helm, it was a tower type setup. At this point I started to freak out since there was only seconds before he was bearing down on top of me.
So I pointed my yak at him, ready to make a quick maneuver left or right, with only seconds left. Only thing I could think with the few seconds left was to raise my paddle and make myself more visible. Well just before impact(with no reduction in his speed before) the dude hit a hard right, creating a 5 foot wake wave just feet from me, then sped off southbound. He gave me the shrugged shoulders and I gave him the bloody deck salute.
The snotty conditions prob had helped in me staying in my yak, since I was already dealing with a tippy yak and was being extra careful.
I didn't get the boat name nor numbers, it happened just to fast.

I almost died...

After that I cussed him out on chan 72 with no response.
And got out my flare gun which I kept in my life vest the rest of the day.
At the ready.

Damn glad I bought my ACR PLB and had it on my life vest at the time,
also glad I didn't need to use it.

stay frosty out there

P
Damn crazy story right there and glad your ok. Im new to the sport but hope that never happens to me. If it ever does I know I'd be stalking the boat launch looking our for the A-holes and give them shit, hoping he would throw a punch...I just hate jerks like that.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote