View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #536
RockyRaab

After fishing, I generally pull down to the end of the ramp rather than risk a heart attack pulling my loaded PA14 back to the lot. The PA slides easily onto my roof rack -- TOO easily. On a steeper than usual ramp once, it almost slid all the way off, onto my hood and then nosefirst onto the ramp. I also needed a way to protect the paint on my Highlander's spoiler. Here are my two solutions:

To protect the spoiler and help keep the PA from sliding off sideways, I glued ans screwed two short pieces of scrap 2x2 to an old cutting board (plywood woul work as well) and then bent two strips of steel strapping into squared-off hooks to slip around the rear crossbar. Here's that innovation: (Excuse the pre-dawn lighting)

Then, to keep the kayak from moving forward - or sideways in crosswinds - I cut another piece of wood into a tapered shape to loosely match the mirage drive well and bolted it to the front crossbar.

Now, I can rest the nose of the PA between the two cutting board guide rails, lift the stern and simply slide the 'yak forward until the drive hole drops onto the front safety block.

I then remove the cutting board, tie the 'yak down with straps and two front ropes.

Voila! That PA isn't going anywhere!
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote