View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
madscientist

Thanks for the heads up, Paul. I've thought a lot about what we as kayak anglers can do and while we are definitely a small group, it seems essential that we try all routes to preserve our sport. To that end, I think we should explore other routes of advocacy than the boat based anglers. In particular, I think we should try to emphasize that kayak angling is an extremely environmentally friendly activity that should be encouraged rather than suppressed.

1. Kayak angling burns no fossil fuels and results in zero potential for harmful spills or environmental contaminants

2. The impact of kayak anglers is minimal, particularly in LJ where we mostly target migratory pelagics. A rockfish closure would not be too big of a deal.

3. Most kayakers are very aware of the environmental quality and will pick up trash when they can. In general, when you are all but in the water as we are you tend to become more aware and concerned about it's quality.

4. Kayaking is very good exercise so there is a societal benefit in terms of improved health

5. Kayak angling has become a part of the "culture" of La Jolla, and the sport has been pioneered by many of the old timers here.

If the inshore waters that we can fish with the kayak are closed, then many of us will be forced onto gas guzzling boats so we can get further out. The net environmental impact would be negative.

I don't know if there is anyone willing to listen but it's worth a shot. Let me know if I can help you in any way. I would think that our local kayak sellers and retailers would have an interest in helping as well.

My personal dream is that they realize the benefit of kayak angling and make a series of "non-motorized only" zones. A fantasy, for sure, but it would be nice.