View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 03:02 PM   #46
Baja_Traveler

Just got back from Bob's place and had a fantastic time. Got to relax, paddles around with a whale shark, caught some fish, ate great food and hung out with great people. The drive was completely uneventful, and took us 7 hours from San Diego - here we are dropping in on the final destination in the distance:

All set up on the beach, smoker sitting on the tailgate ready to be fired up for a few racks of ribs:

My artsy shot for the trip:

Chow time under the newly installed roof - Sven and Bob did a first class job of getting it constructed:

First day out fishing, unfortunately I was in such a hurry to race down the beach to catch up with the whale shark the day before, I forgot my camera, but this was pretty much the morning conditions everyday before the wind picked up.

Out around the point of Punta Bufeo is where the fishermen towed 7 pilot whales that beached themselves. Six can be seen here, the seventh out of frame to the left away from the others.

The only fish I kept, Typical size Sierra - this one gill hooked, so he will end up in the smoker. It gave us a good excuse to set up Bob's new vacuum sealer, which it turns out got a very good workout that evening.

A lot of bait in the water - small yellowtail and sierra occasionally making their way through it.

Lots of spotty action, this poor guy was giving a good fight when all of a sudden, nothing. Reeled him in to find this - surgical chomp suggests a shark of some sort. Probably would have been the biggest spotty I ever caught too...

Bob in his ever present quad - sure was nice to have it to tow the yak back up the beach, probably saved me from having a heart attack - those 14 foot PA's aren't exactly light...

The beast of the trip! 95 pounds, taken by spear off a high spot near the island. Thats a 35 pounder on the ground. I'll let those responsible tell that story...

I'd venture a guess that it's the biggest fish to cast a shadow at Bob's place...

Tuesday morning, and unfortunately I have to go home. Here is Sven heading out for the day, and as I type this some 8 hours later, I'm positive he is still out there fishing...

Great trip, and I can't wait to go back.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote