View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
TJones

Off Shore ( non kayak )

Since I got into kayaking getting on boats was really on the back burner. Last year I bought a tallica 25 and tried to give it a shot on the cows but came up short on what was a really good trip. This year I added a tallica 20 to arsenal and booked last remaining spot on a Pheenix sponsored trip aboard the Ranger 85. The trip was for 2.5 days. Largest fish on first day was over 200 lb. and it was caught on a glow in the dark flat fall at grey light. The fish didn’t bite again until nightfall. It was explosive at dusk and the fish went 35 -60 lb. The boat said it was the best they have seen. Over 45 landed in a couple hours with about 30 anglers. Slow start for me with only 1 landed at 35 lb. I lost two two fish, One at color when I put slack in line waiting for gaff. the other fish I horsed in, and it managed to find the rudder. The second day was similar scenario, very quiet until dusk. Darkness fell and the fish went under us. This school was larger and 4 guys got chewed off or sawed off immediately. I grabbed my biggest reel with flat fall. First drop within seconds I was on. Fought the fish for over 20 minutes and it went 157 lb on the scale taking jackpot. Another angler fought a fish for over an hour which would have been largest of trip but the fish rolled at color and spit hook. Fortunate for me, not for him. The boat also landed over a half dozen cows on a kite reel with the fish averaging about 250 lbs. what a great experience. Not cheap to get on a boat these days, but provided a lifetime of memories. It’s not getting much better. 150 lb - 400 lb. fish within a days range? Tightlines everyone. Hope everyone had a great summer. I’m gonna give it another shot this week on the same boat on a 1.5 day trip. I’ll keep you guys posted.
Attached Images

Last edited by TJones; 09-07-2018 at 09:10 AM.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote