View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
ProfessorLongArms

Thanks for the kind words of welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Sounds like a worthwhile trip into new territory. You obviously did some research and laid out a worthy plan.

What do you think about trying circle hooks? Maybe your two possible YT hookups might have stuck on better? (unless it was sea lions chomping them off)

BTW, I've never had problems with sea lions around the entrance to SD Bay or around the bait barge. I see them laying around, but they have never bothered me. Sea lions in LJ are aggressive and annoying.
Thanks!! Between here and BD, there’s a veritable trove of info that’s highly searchable. Really great resources.

I actually started out using circle hooks and caught the halibut in my profile pic on one... I noticed *every* person I fished with using J hooks and switched over.

I bought a huge bag of ringed 1/0 owners at Fred hall on sale, and expect I’ll be trying them again soon.

Good to know about sd bay.

As for the sabiki rig, jlabs- exactly... I take my live bait rod, before I have bait, and tie on a sabiki with a salas 6x (or whatever iron you like) as the weight, let it out a bit, and troll it in freespool in my hand. When it loaded up with macs, I was half convinced I had a small yellow on the iron.

In case it helps I’m a huge fan of the hayabusa mix yarn. They’re super flashy and never fail to produce for me
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote