View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #21
Sheephead

Wish i knew not to bring all my tackle (hooks, line, weights, pliers, knives, swivels, lures, ect). Only bring what you need and put it in a dry bag or water tight box.

I also wish I had known your supposed to rinse your rods/ reels with freshwater afterwards too...

As a child I grew up fishing the pier's for Mackerel. Then, when I realized i couldn't progress my passion any further without owning a boat I convinced my parents to chip in and get me a kayak. The cheapest way to get out on the water without spending the crazy amount of money a 15 year old doesn't have.

I went from catching mackerel off a pier to cluelessly fishing the bays for bass. Once I got comfortable with my kayak and myself I went to La Jolla. Someone told me to use mackerel as bait for yellowtail. After catching mackerel for fun for so many years I never thought about using a WHOLE LIVE ONE for bait! I remember trying to figure out hook the damn thing, having no clue what I was doing. (one of my most favorite kayak fishing memories)

When I fish started fishing in the ocean I got hooked on the feeling of being so close to nature. I really feel part of the ocean's ecosystem while on a kayak. It makes you feel vulnerable. A feeling you can't get while on a boat. BUT I didn't know anything about salt water corrosion and lost about $500 in rusted hooks, lures, pliers, ect. Not to mention all my reels locking up to the point where 3 reels costed $350 to get serviced..
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote