View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
RandyD
Junior

I am new to the sport of kayak fishing, and seeking advice

I am new to the sport of kayak fishing, and seeking any advice that you are willing to give. Another member started a similar thread asking for help, but I did not want to insert my questions on his thread, so I started this one. My fishing experience is mostly limited to fishing for trout as a kid, and that was usually with a borrowed rod and reel. I have very little to no experience in fishing.

Another member on this site, got me interested in joining this site and taking up kayak fishing. I have been reading posts on this site and others hoping to gain some knowledge. I live and work in La Jolla, and my work schedule can be hectic and it is filled with last minute emergencies, which would make me an unreliable fishing partner. I am mostly interested in pursuing the fishing off La Jolla and in Mission and San Diego Bays. Based on what I have read, I am most interested in learning how to fish for yellowtail and will add more game fish to the list as I progress in knowledge and skill.

So far, I have bought a well maintained and equipped PA and a FF from fellow members on this site. I am trying to decide what are the best rods and reels to purchase along with lines and tackle.

Based on what I have read, there are three main techniques for yellowtail fishing, live bait, yo-yo jigging and surface jigging. If there are other techniques that I left off the list, please let me know. I am interested in purchasing the better quality rods and reels so they last and provide better performance. I am interested in your recommendations and the reasons for your recommendations.

Thanks,

Randy
RandyD is offline   Reply With Quote