View Single Post
Old 09-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

May not be suitable for your plans, but I know kids love it:

I have an elegantly built sailing/rowing dinghy I don't use. It's stored in a garage near SDSU. The hull is fiberglass cast with the shape of planks for it's "aerodynamics" in the water. I'm not enough of a boat person to tell you what that's called, but it's classic design element. The gunwales are trimmed out in mahogany. Mahogany plank seat. Beautiful varnished wood mast, old school out of primo quality fine-grain lumber I rarely see anymore. Single sail with wood battens on the trailing edge, no jib. Wood oars. I think I once tracked numbers cast into the hull to a Japanese company, but that was a long time ago and I can't remember exactly what I was able to find out about it. High quality design and workmanship. Sails very easy and slick in the water with minimal drag. Great fun for kids in the bay. I bought about $100 of finishing materials at Marine West to do some minor cosmetic restoration, but there it sits collecting dust. I've collected a couple extra sets of original style oar-locks for it as era-appropriate backup. Also have a mushroom anchor if you want to stop somewhere comfortable and drop your lines or take a nap.

Aye, Mate! Too many fun things to do, too little time!

I was thinking about building a vintage "boat trailer camper" to pull around behind my 1936 Ford Pickup for road trips. Sadly, I seriously doubt I'm going to get around to that idea in this lifetime.

If anyone is interested, this is my direct email: niceguy92115@gmail.com

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-02-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote