View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #6
Hunters Pa

Good question here. There are factors on both sides. I use a weber smokey mountain. It is charcoal fired and I use chunks of wood for the smoke. Brief summary of factors i took into consideration:

Pellet

positive
Set it and forget it capability
capacity
consistent quality

Negative
Have to use pellets (big factor for me)
- Variety limited to what the manufacturer produces
- what if they go out of business and no longer make pellets?
- Cost factor when there are only a few makers of the pellets
Need electricity
Cost - these things aren't cheap (but I have no problem paying for a quality product that will last)

Electric

positive
Plug it in and set the temp and it can self regulate
Do not need charcoal for heat
Can use chips, chunks or pellets
Typically cheaper
Higher capacity

negative
Need power access
Most do not seem "built to last"

Charcoal based

Positive
no power needed
can use chips, chunks, pellets
Can double as picnic or camping grill
mid range cost
Replacement parts lower cost
Aftermarket items for "hot rodding" available

negative
capacity
need to buy & ignite charcoal
more "hands on" unless you invest in aftermarket mods

I went with the smokey mountain for a couple of reasons. I have an awesome outdoor kitchen with a 42" Twin Eagles grill, multiple kitchen-style stove burners and a 18" wide griddle. The smoker is for smoking or to take camping, to the beach or whatever. I did not want to be reliant on having a power supply. I also did not want to have to buy a product made by a handful of manufacturers that may or may not be around in 10 years, or that may decide to double their prices when to number of manufacturers goes down. Wood chunks are more readily available and in greater variety. You really do get a different result when using something like cherry or olive. The capacity was the main point of hesitation, but the way I smoke food i can transfer to my built in gas grill at the foiling stage and start the next round on the smoker. This does not apply when i smoke fish, so I just need to plan appropriately, but it is the exception rather than the rule when I am using the smoker.

The best thing I did, though, to taking my use of the smoker to the next level was to take a quality class. This significantly shortened my learning curve. The class I took was offered by Harry Soo at slapyodaddybbq.com. He does them mainly at his house in Diamond Bar. A good class will not be cheap, but it will move you forward exponentially.

Just my 2 cents
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote