View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #11
TJones

It’s amazing how much truthful information

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
After 4 years offshore in 2014-2016 PA14's, last year I fished the 2019 Outback.

The Outback is half a knot faster, but a wetter less comfortable ride. I always like having the lowest seat position for stability, but on the 2019 Outback, The seat corner support tabs on the back would intermittently(about once an hour) collapse while peddling in the lowest position. Eventually, I got tired of that and settled for keeping the seat in the next higher setting. In the slightly higher setting, the back tabs stayed positioned and I found that most of the bow wash would go under the seat keeping my pants significantly drier. Considering how forward the seat is positioned, the ride in the mid-height position is fairly dry.

2019 Outback Pros:
1. 1/2 half a knot Faster(bumping up 3.5-4kts ave spd is huge )
2. Fwd stowage hatch (with added gasket stayed very dry)
3. Lots of places to secure gear, like the built-in bungees for securing rods
4. 180 mirage - reversible, newer flipper has more surface area at the farther swiping ends, making it slightly harder to peddle and faster.
5. XL live well fits tight, but usable, some other owners could not make it fit.

Some annoyances: Mirage 180-if a masts get damaged, it inevitably leads to a $305 spine replacement. An upgrade to the kickup fins will mitigate this. Fishing line easily get stuck in the rudder(rarely had that problem on the PA). Can't stow the paddle in the bow hatch, as I always did with the PA. Scupper plug next to seat perfectly lined up to accidentally loose lures through.

Although I love the comfort of the PA14, ain't going anywhere fast. The Outback's extra half knot of speed can make the difference between being able to fish a stronger current day and having to head in or do a drift. For me, the wetness of the 2019 Outback was not an issue, it was the less comfortable seat. I would love to see a PA seat in an outback. I have never owned the old outback, I am amazed by how some larger anglers stay comfortable in them?

This year going to try something different -- Vibe Shearwater 125.
You revealed. Some guys are gonna get out here and tell you that they went 8 mph in the thing.Personally, I think It’s some of those small details mentioned that can make or break a deal for for an individual based oh his expectations or needs. Lots of useful information there and much appreciated. Did you end up getting away from the PA? One of the most important features for me is how the kayak handles surf launches and landings while protecting your gear. Ease of integrating electronics is important also. Hobie is second to none with their proprietary bait tank and lowrance ready capability. I think I will try and give it a test ride if this virus thing gets away from us. Thanks again.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote