Thread: Cabo Skunk
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Baja Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
Too bad, but at least you got out there. Not sure where your place is, but I think the only tuna to be found this time of year are off the Iman and San Luis banks. The fishery has changed a lot in the past ~5 years, as there is less live bait available, due to over fishing with drag nets, etc.

A good way to go is to get a few kilos of Humboldt squid slabs; cut them into small pieces for chum along with some bigger pieces for bait. Throw a handful of chum in, followed by your hooked bait and let is soak. Use mono so it sinks properly. The fish on the sea of Cortez size seem to be lazy and they like meat!

I get jealous every time you post. I love it down there. Wish I could have a yak down there!
I met a guy with his own boat and he was catching tuna, dorado and wahoo down at Iman Bank (before the wind kicked up.)

I've done the Humbolt squid thing from a skiff and it definitely works for tuna down there. We bought 10+ pounds at Walmart. That seems like a lot to manage on a 'yak but I suppose I could cut up all the chum ahead of time and bag it.
Baja Marty is offline   Reply With Quote