View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
I once had a sculpin fall on my ankle while out in La Jolla... yea that sucked for awhile. Sculpin are my favorite fish no doubt love their attitude and colors! How big was the halibut?
Yea they are very cool animals. The halibut ended up shaking loose at the surface but both Mike and I estimated him at about 18-19", Mike didnt want to gaf him because he didnt look to be big enough and while scrambling around for his fish grips the hali shook the 3/0 circle hook loose and got out of there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
At least you got the last laugh. I once got stuck under 2 separate fingernails at the same time. Though the skipper was going to have to call the HP. I got really nauseous and almost passed out. Soaking them in hot coffee made a huge difference. Supposedly piss works too. I also got stuck one other time, but that was much less severe. It hurt, but not much worse than a bee sting.

One thing I always do when handling rattlesnakes in the yak is to keep my legs wherever the fish isn't. When it's in the water, my feet are on board. When it's over the deck, my feet are over the side. That way, if I drop it the fish won't bounce off my feet or calves. I've punctured my lower extremities more than once with bass.
Thanks for the tips with the feet, I think I will adopt that rule as well. It could have been much worse if he would have nailed me in the thigh, or so I think. The fish got me in 4 separate fingers, with what im assuming were 4 different spines, and I thought I was being very careful while handling him for the measurement. From now on, my thumb isn't coming out of a Sculpins mouth, not even for the measure. 3 days later and I've still got a mitten at the end of my left arm.

SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote