View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
kirkdavis

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
The LJ Shores boat launch area is the only place in San Diego County where one can legally drive a vehicle on the beach and launch a boat. As far as I know, it is not closed to swimmers, at least it never was when I was a lifeguard on that beach many years ago.

Due to the nearby canyon, it is also a popular place for divers to enter the water. Always has been. Divers are swimmers... sort of. Many of the tourists who patronize the kayak rental services spend as much their time in the water chasing the kayak that they have just fallen out of. Again swimmers, sort of.

Normally swimmers, divers, kayakers and other boaters figure out a way to coexist but at high tide on a crowded summer day, this can be a real challenge.

South of the launch is the Beach and Tennis Club. Established in 1927 it is one of the few private beaches in San Diego. The club is responsible for the area and for the safety of their guests when swimming on their beach. They do not take kindly to kayaks trespassing on their property thus the attitude that you experienced.

The bottom line is that it is what it is. Not a great situation but it is what we have.

Bob
Thanks for the Information and history lesson. I will try not to infringe on the private beach in the future. There is a wealth of knowledge among the members of this forum.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote