View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Where was that held - specifically ? Somewhere in Cook Inlet ? What an awesome calm day to kayak fish. Congratulations on second place, just a meal in the gut away from first -- close competition. I was on the Valdez/Nikiski tanker run a few years back, so I appreciate those calm days as I got to experience much of the opposite(iced up decks and blistering cold wind). I have enjoyed your previous reports, and like the way you video documented the harpooning method to subdue big halibut. A fish of that size cannot be just gaffed in the head and clubbed into submission without a risk of capsizing into deadly cold water. Looked like the harpoon pole was a converted golf club ? Do you ever target Kenai river class trophy Kings from the kayak ?
Thanks all.

The weather has been brutal this year. But we did get lucky on derby day.

I have drifted the Kenai on several occasions. Mainly the Upper and Middle for trout. The returns of King Salmon on the Kenai have been terrible the past 5 or so years so I have not targeted them. However, this year, the early run king escapement appears much better than forecasted. If the second run is as good, I do plan on trying once or twice.

With the boat traffic on the Kenai though, I am not sure how I am going to land a large Kenai king. In the past I have caught several pinks and large trout and they were more difficult to land than a large halibut due to boat traffic and current.

We have a kayak angler that lives in Slat Lake City and comes up every summer to fish. As a machinist, he fabricated the golf club based harpoons and tips as a prizes for one of the derbies. they work great!

As always, if anyone on this forum is planning to come up and fish, give me a shout. The bad news is I am not a guide. Meaning that work and family take priority. The good news is that if you can hook up with me, its free! We go fishing a lot and we are more than happy to help where we can!

Last edited by Kardinal_84; 06-30-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote