Thread: Recently...
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
RobFish
Massive Member

Recently...

Recently I've had a couple of good days on the water.
One day, I landed these 3 guys.
A couple of days later, this guy.
Earlier this week, I hooked into something that was BIG. I mean REALLY BIG.
On the water with the sunrise, made some squirts, pinned them on my hooks.
From there it was a little busy on the water, traffic-wise. All good though.
Chatted with my Lollipop Guild brothers, and then I felt a little tug. Not big.
That soon turned into a ??? moment. Rod bent over, reel began a little song, but no big headshakes like a YT, no power initial run like a WSB, no feeling like reeling in a wet pillow like a halibut. This was very steady and strong. Someone described it afterwards that my rod looked like I was reeling in pair of manhole covers. That's a pretty solid description. I'm in a PA12, and it was towing me around like a toy boat in the tub, and was just making solid 20' left hand circles. I must have done 12-15 rotations. Left arm was getting tired, but I was making steady progress. I could see Mr. Fishy on the FF, and he'd come up to 50, then back to 70, up to 40, down to 60, and it played out that way for a good 10 minutes, until I got my first glimpse of color. I thought to myself, HOLY HELL, this fish is BIG. It looked 2 feet in length, and from my FF, it said that it was still 20' down. Then 10, and then finally up to the surface. HOLY HELL became HOLY MOLA. Had a few amigos there to help with the release, but a good guess was 100-150#'s, 4'+ in length, 2'+ in width, and an easy 10" thick. Someone said that its eye was the size of a baseball, maybe even a softball.
No pics taken, but the entire ordeal was caught on GoPro, so hopefully we'll be able to pull a couple of still photos from the video.
MUCH MUCH MUCH Thanks to both Dannowar, Cbad Mike and Greg Andrew for the assistance in all aspects of bringing this beauty to reality. By far the biggest fish I've ever landed.
Thanks for reading, and I'll see y'all on the water!
Attached Images