Thread: YARD SALE!!
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #10
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
Hah, did not even know there was a Small Craft, I checked reports up and down and did not see word whatsoever of that. Any advice as to which source best to follow in regards to craft advisories? I did not even listen to 16 this morning, turned my radio on during Launch while it was on my vest...

But yeah bro, I was thinking about that doing the walk of shame back to my car,, next weekend you will more than likely just see me surfing my Stealth for practice
http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.ph...750&syn=pzz700

Use this link above from the National Weather Service. ..they up date I even in the A.M I'm talking round the clock.

Gale force winds this evening and still a small craft advisory.

It's a great day to practice surfing a yak...obviously without the rods. If you do flip never be between your kayak and the beach unless you like x - number of pounds of hard plastic smashing into you. Get on the other side most west so if a wave crashes you will be away from danger.

Try playing in the surf...there are youtube videos to learn from. I find it easier to ride a wave then going straight in if the waves are big. Stay to your strong side I.e. i go right lower body remains straight upper body facing the wave face with my paddle dipped to the rear for control. When you ride a wave for some distance you can also pull out by applying pressure and a short stroke to help you turn right...it will slow you down the wave passes so quickly turn left to face the beach to paddle in safely. At this point you will be way past the impact zones and will have less powerful whitewater to deal with.

Even if you try to pull out of a wave and cant you'll just scurry sideways as long as you remain calm and don't lean too far right.

As for launching always keep your bow facing directly at the wave...If you are crooked the wave will turn you sideways and you'll be taken back with it.

Remember speed and plow through straight. ..If you are straight and not paddling. ..another no no. You want momentum so paddle hard up until the wave crashes on you...If they were big like the ones I took today lift your paddle quickly over your head until the water passes through. For small waves just keep paddling.

If you are trying to avoid getting wet take a few minutes to watch the sets...sometimes 5 minutes or until you see a pattern. Waves come in sets 3 or five or more just watch. ..The last few are the biggest so get ready to boogie when you think it's the last big wave of the set...This intuition comes from studying the waves prior.

Don't delay when it's time and paddle through hard...you can rest past the breakers. Don't half ass it...If you timed it wrong and just sit there like a lame duck hoping the wave will pass you by you won't have momentum and you'll get tossed. Kayaks are buoyant and are really hard to push under water...with enough momentum and buoyancy you will plow through waves.

Think about riding a bike you are less stable going slow and you are very easy to push over...with more speed you are less rocky...ever been on a boat anchored in rough swells? A lot if rocking. ..not so much with speeds.

Hope this makes sense. Also try jumping out of your kayak and getting back in...have your pfd. You may find out certain things you have on your pfd get snagged on your kayak...or a rod holder mounted in a bad position acting as a barrier. Try flipping your yack and getting it up right. Try from the side then from the bow and stern. .. you never know if a shark may block you from flipping on the side as he's biting down...get further away flip from the bow and enter from the bow.

It's a fun day at the beach doing this...try it in the bay first then practice at the beach.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote