View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
PAL

JAL Memorial Thank You (Long)

Fishing a tournament in memory of my son James was a tremendous honor and gift to my family. Thank you for lifting our spirits.

Thank you La Jolla, for the ideal weather: no surf, silky flat seas, and some monster fish. The Jewel always delivers for our traditional post Labor Day weekend summer tournament. Congratulations to Andy Acevedo and all the other winners.

Thank you fellow kayak anglers. I think I heard there were 106 registered. There's no tournament without you. Whether you came out for the competition, the prizes, the fellowship, or to support the cause (several even registered although they couldn't attend), I am grateful to each of you. I hope you found what you were seeking.

Thank you Andy Allen of OEX Sunset Beach for reviving this tradition last year, and with OEX Mission Bay's Brent Torgeson offering to name it for my son James. You guys just put in a crazy busy summer season, yet took the time and considerable effort to stage this tournament on a sunny Saturday. You are dear friends.

Thank you Matt Moyer, for so graciously passing the torch and for working behind the scenes to provide prizes. I will never forget your father Steve, his good humor and generosity of spirit. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Thank you Jim Sammons, who founded this annual tradition so long ago he has trouble remembering the year. I think it might have been 2000 or 2001. That you shot the event for your long-running TV show (named the Kayak Fishing Show of course) is huge in more ways than I will list here.

Thank you Allene Sammons for taking charge of the raffle ticket sales, and a huge THANK YOU to everyone who bought tickets. This year's proceeds will benefit the James Lebowitz Memorial Cal Poly Pomona University scholarship endowment. Thanks to you, James will help a fellow young person get through college, every year, in perpetuity.

Thank you Heroes on the Water Southern California, for generously supplying all the grills, food pans, and most of all the hard, hot work to cook up a tremendous lunch of pollo asada. You folks are all about service to the community. If there's anyone here who isn't supporting your important mission, I hope their eyes are now open. I will see you soon at one of your events.

Thank you Joe for the 150 JAL stickers. If you went to the tournament and wanted one, you got it. Seeing those stickers out and about... It means so much to us.

Thank you George Martinez for joining us and honoring James. George is alive today (and saving lives due to his work with substance abusers) due to the kidney James donated. He represented the five lives James saved, the two people who received the gift of sight, and the 50 more who James will help through tissue donation. James was autistic, but he was also a lover and a giver. We wish he could have remained with us. He couldn't be saved, but he could save others. If you have questions about organ and tissue donation, please ask me or George.

This year, we didn't approach companies looking for merchandise. The prizes came from companies and individuals that approached us, out of friendship and generosity. These are great people. The list starts with Mark Olson of Ocean Kayak, a man who goes all the way back to the beginning of modern kayak fishing. He provided the Trident and the Aquaglide Blackfoot.

More sponsors: Hobie (wow, came strong - thank you!), YakAttack (that custom BlackPak is beautiful), Promar, Big Chief, AFTCO, Mr. Patrick and Target for the Kamodo grill AND box of Williamson lures (classy), Owner, Carlisle, Arnette Optics, Okuma, Big Hammer, SeaDek, Extrasport, Team Sewer Productions (Ha!). The dorados, wow!

I'm sure I've missed a few thank yous. For instance, there were other people helping. I'm so sorry I didn't get all your names. My apologies - we appreciate and thank you all.

Last edited by Iceman; 10-16-2015 at 09:58 AM.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote