View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #72
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afran View Post
Great fish! Congrats.

On another note.....
Sometimes I just don't get it. Why call out someone for "harvesting" fish. I always tell people that catching a YT on a yak is special experience. It's flat out awesome! You'll never get that feeling from a PB boat.

I think it's the image of seeing 2 huge YTs on a deck of a small yak versus seeing 9 YTs on the deck of a PB. Just make sure you call out those PBers too..... not just the yak guys. Actually don't call out any one. Welcome to the forum, good luck out there.
Good point but the bottom line is that we should never take more than we can use. If someone can consume 100 lbs of fresh fish in a week or two than they should definitely keep that much fish if they can catch it.

On the other hand, if you harvest more than you can use and a bunch of it ends up in the freezer only to get tossed out when you catch your next big fish, that is wasteful. It makes no sense to me to kill a fish and then send it to the land fill.

To me, there are two great things about fishing... catching and eating. The catching part ends when you get the fish to the yak. If you need the meat, stick the gaff. If not, take a photo and release the fish.

It does not matter if you are one guy on a kayak or part of a large group on a PB, the rules should be the same. Take what you need... use what you take. It's as simple as that.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote