View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Testing testing...

This is only a test. Is this thing on? I'm not sure if it's going to work, but here goes nothing.

For some reason sushi tastes better in the Winter. It's not all about rolls, though. You've got to have some sashimi, too. Bed of Ponzu optional.

It's not a sushi party without some Nigiri. Simple and delicious.

Hand rolls with spicy Hamachi are another staple in this house. They serve as a tide me over since they're quick, too. Ever made sushi when you're starving?

After you whip up a couple rolls and hand rolls 'ta boot, guess what's next?

Yep, more rolls.

Alright, now we're getting somewhere. We've got a few plates of goodness and the table's filling up nicely. It's almost showtime.

Top the rolls with a liberal dose of Bonita flakes and bust out some wine for your guests.

Some fish get tossed in the smoker---some deserve being taken out in style.

Whether that's a Calico Bass, Halibut, or a forty pound Yellowtail is up to you. This particular day I was fired up to get in the water for some spearfishing (notice the lower left of the photo). I get more than my fair share of rod and reel fishing. With that being said, when I run over a beautiful meter mark on the way to some spearfishing---irons are ready. Unfortunately I never found my target once I entered the water, though. What I'd do to be quietly cruising the bottom and have a fish this size, lazily come into view, and come check me out. My hands are shaking thinking about it.

Air temp: warm.

water temp: cold.

Wind: what wind?

Fishing: there's only one way to find out, right?

Um, not exactly. While going out and finding for yourself is, and forever will be, the best way it's not the most traveled path. More like a dusty old road that's covered with weeds and rocks. I'm talking four wheel drive territory. Those of us who do this are a dyeing breed. Grossly outnumbered and clearly a minority. It is what it is, though . As far as the fishing, these days there's no shortage of options when it comes to assessing conditions. Surf reports (that can tell you what to expect two weeks out) and doppler radar are just the icing on the cake. Why I still see guys trying to launch through six foot, short period, wind-swell is another story.

With all the chat boards, real-time texts, buddies calling buddies, acquaintances calling acquaintances, Fishdope, Instagram and private messages running 24/7 it's enough to make you root for the fish. I do anyway. Lets see, there's the commercial fishing mafia, kayak fishing mafia, full and part time launch lurkers; an endless pool of communication. A giant network of hard core anglers and wannabes alike running and gunning. The real kicker: All of which are trying to hide what they know from one another. It's funny and sad at the same time. Let alone Facebook---don't get me started. Did I miss anyone?

I digress, must be getting old, forgot to mention the radio. Yeah, the radio. I don't know about you, but when the local bite hits the air waves it kind of spells the beginning of the end, right? That would be like finding your current conditions from a Carrier Pigeon. Regardless, it sure brings the semi-retired angler out of the woodwork. The real-time text guys are rolling over in their graves at the mere thought. Makes for good radio, though. Weekly listeners and sponsors alike eat it up---and rightfully so.

Why writing a post still ruffles feathers after the ...WORLD WIDE WEB... has known for weeks? After the bite's dead? You got me.

At this point, lets hope anyway, it's alright to share the stoke.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows where I stand on the subject, so, lets try not to beat a dead horse. Or a Darkhorse.