View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
taggermike

Ive never launched a PA, let alone the PA 17t, thru the surf. But I have surf launch small skiffs. There may be similarities.

You might try getting in to knee-waist deep water. Get the front guy in with drive deployed n ready while the guy in back keeps the boat perpendicular to the waves. The back guy then pushes hard n drives the boat forward while front guy peddles. When the water gets deep enough where the back guys leg drive fails he jumps in and starts peddling. You should have plenty of speed and momentum to sprint/crash your way out.

Its not quite the same but the guides in LJ launch the rental paddlers similarly.

Landings are always tougher than launches. Try to time a lull n sprint for the beach. When you get in to waist deep water the back guy, or both guys, jump out and grab the back of the yak to keep it perpendicular to the beach n guide the yak in.

Landing backwards could work well for the PA 17. I've done this on paddle yaks n it works. But my attitude about surf launch n landing is to get thru the surf ASAP. The longer you're in the surf zone the greater the chances are of some thinf going wrong. Line up, time it as best you can, commit n go 100%.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote