View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Rod and reel right...there is no right rod and reel for everyone. There are so many different options available I'm sure you know that already. You should buy a rod that fits your personal style of fishing...Star drag or Lever drag..? Do you prefer to fish heavy medium or light, whatever you choose they should get the job done.

Reels, Avets are nice, they hold up to the saltwater very well and are reasonably priced, for yellowtail an MX or MXJ, LX should be good choices. The new shimano toriums in sizes of 16, 20 are excellent reels, or if you want to spend the big bucks the trinidads are even better....and plenty more..

Rods anything from BIG 5 rods to Calstar, Seeker, GLoomis, the shimano rods will get the job done as well.

I personally use a Calstar 800m with an Avet MXJ 6/4, Now is this the right setup for you??? Maybe...Maybe not. You might like a shorter rod...or maybe even a longer rod, Maybe a stiffer rod or a softer rod, Bigger reel or small reel...you'll have to find out.
Tony is right, everyone has their own preference as to what they are comfortable using.
Most of what I originally learned about rods, I learned while working the 1/2 day boats. I also learned how to "custom fit" rods (leverage) to people from Yo Yoshida (Yo's custom rods) in Gardena back in the day. I also took that knowledge and worked for Art's tackle in Gardena for awhile.
Your choice of rods will also depend on the species your fishing for.
For example: If you fish heavy kelp (LJ) , rock and pinnacles (Rocky Point/Palos Verdes) where you might find 30#+ or more , I've found a X-fast 40# rod to be my go to outfit (i.e. Calstar 6465H). This rod has a heavier back bone than a regular 655H to "turn the Fish's head" quickly and keep them away from the obstacles. This also makes for a good Yo-Yo rod (IMO). However this is not a good outfit for as you will "Pull/Rip" many hooks with this outfit as mouths are much softer than .
On the other hand, breezing or Tuna, Dodo's, Hoo's in open water where there are no obstacles, the 665 is my "go to" 40# outfit but still too stiff for my taste for a outfit.
I usually "step down" to a 25-30# outfit for and don't "Pull/Rip" out hooks nearly as much. I've turned to the Shimano Teramar W/C Inshore Rods for anything lighter than 25# (I bought a Shimano Inshore "Swimbait" rod that I can't wait to try out!).
Reflect carefully about what/where you fish and what you fish for.
Also consider what kind of line you will be using! If you're using mono you don't have to worry too much about what brand of rod you buy. However if you plan on using braid, look for rods that have Hardloy, Alconite, SIC or TiNi guides or risk "Grooving" your guides thereby causing fraying of you fishing line, or plan on having the guides replaced every few years.
Just my .02
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote