Thread: MDR - 8/20/17
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #6
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Fair enough.

So when this happens, does that heavy 20-30lbs line really help get them out of the junk? I get cutting through kelp or ripping out of grass, but rocks? That just seems like a lose/lose situation.

Those bites were nasty though. Such a rush to feel the yak turn and get pulled like that. It's been a long time since I've had that happen.....
Yes absolutely.
Calico bass are very structure oriented and ambush predators. So you will almost always get them off structure. From my diving I notice the really big ones like to hang out in deep holes and cracks inside big rocks. I imagine they come out slam a bait and head right back in. So you if you are fishing light tackle and land your bait near the hole, its pretty much guaranteed that he's taking your jig right back in there just like a grouper. While he's green it will take some line strength and drag to stop that from happening.

I fish a heavy 15-30 lb rod with 50 lb spectra to a 20-30 lb leader. You can really turn those suckers out from the rocks that way. But I bet the reel still matters, I fish a lexa 300 so there's plenty of drag.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote