View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 07:36 AM   #20
Gflann

Capsizing?
-Kind of goes with weather. Everyone on here has probably spooked themselves once on being offshore and it getting unexpectedly snotty. On the way in I found semi slouching in my seat as I pedaled, right hand on the tiller and left hand grabbing the left side of my seat rail kept me as stable as possible navigating snotty, uneven swell. It’s a tense situation all the way until you touch dry land. I have some peace of mind all the way in knowing that if I capsize I have a PFD and the proper clothing. One thing I give myself crap for not having is a radio clipped to my PFD.

Manowar's?
-Nah
Eels?
-Nah
Sting Rays?
Very rare. Shuffle on the launch and try to ride all the way in on the landing. If not have polarized glasses to look down before hopping off.

I got stung this year. But only because on the launch both my seat clips broke, so I had to get out to rotate the seat to my other set of clips. Got back in and then my drive pod popped out (shame on me for not checking it the night before) and had to hop out again. Fixed it, hopped back in for it to pop again (needed a spacer), didnt have my paddle put together so quickly put it together but 90 degrees off. Had to hop out a third time. All this in the middle of a surf set. So I’m holding onto the kayak trying to troubleshoot. Third time getting out I step on a stingray.

Point to this long story...if I had properly checked my equipment and had my paddle put together and lashed to the side in case of pedal drive failure on the launch I wouldnt have had to hop out three times, each time increasing my risk of stingray injury. Irony to this story is the trip before this disaster, I caught my PB Yellowtail. I’m usually good at checking my equipment but just got lazy.

Painful, yes. But you recover quickly by soaking it in hot water. I was able to walk 18 holes at Balboa golf course the next day. Still swollen and sore for a week.

Sharks?
-In the back of my mind, but I’m also in a 12.5’ kayak. So not really swimming with them. But I dont fish with my feet off the side.

Whales?
-I’ve been in a big bait ball when they have shown up. I pull up all my gear and pedal away fast. If they accidentally hit me, I’m toast. And if there’s a calf you could be in for a bad day if mom thinks you’re threatening.

Seals?
-Good sign its a fishy spot.

Hypothermia?
-In the winter dont mess with this. I used to wear waders with booties always with a wader belt. Topped with a paddle jacket and PFD. My only critique on waders are if you dont wear the belt to keep it water tight and the challenge with pissing. I switched to paddle pants that have gaskets at the waist and ankles.

If you fall off, I’d guess it would take 5-7 min to get back in for myself if there’s a little swell. If its capsized, 10-15 min. Without proper gear hypothermia might have you shaking so bad you dont have the dexterity to haul yourself in.

Weather? See capsize.

Bigger Boaters?
-Keep your head on a swivel. Consider a small air horn in a pocket on your seat. If you watch a guy headed your way and he’s not at least looking in your direction that might help. ALWAYS watch the wake roll in even if it interrupts fishing. Position bow or stern into it. Grab onto the seat rail to help you stay steady in the kayak.

Piracy?
-Seals stealing my bait. But that’s a catch 22. Also means the area is fishy. So I’ve learned to embrace those sea dawgs.

1. Spend $ on equipment that will save your life.
2. Use said equipment properly
3. Be comfortable with righting a capsized kayak and getting back in
4. Always check the weather. Establish personal limits.
5. When you screw up 3 and 4, 1 and 2 will save your life.