View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
senojmj
Paddle, Fish, Repeat

My first attempt at outriggers

Decided to make some outriggers for my kayak. Wanted the extra stability for when I take my kids out. My 3 yr old, 6 yr old and I can all fit on my Cobra Marauder XF. They do squirm a little bit and want to keep them dry. After checking other DIY models, this is what I came up with.

outrigger 4.jpg

So I have some questions/concerns.

1. I am pretty sure they are too long, when down they are below the hull. I am not sure I want to cut them down until I take it out on the water to figure where they should be. Lakes are frozen here so that will have to wait, unless someone has another idea.

2. Is it better for the scotty rod holder to be in the top mount or side mount? The third picture down I have one in each spot. Is one stronger than the other? I like the side mount because it has a lower profile. The top mount will be easier to deal with while on the kayak.

3. I also decided to be able to put them in either the bow or stern of the kayak. I have different setups depending on what I am doing and whether my kids are coming. No bait tank when the kids come. Any known advantage one way or another?

It was a fun project to do, and cost me about $60. Luckily, Cabelas was having a sale on rod holders last weekend. Any ideas or comments are welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outrigger 10.jpg (51.9 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg outrigger 8.jpg (46.1 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg outrigger 5.jpg (48.4 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg outrigger 9.jpg (33.8 KB, 380 views)
senojmj is offline   Reply With Quote