View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Nice inovation with the larger tubes.

A few comments: They are about twice as long as the need to be. The reason outriggers are long on outrigger canoes is one outrigger works both sides keeping it from rolling one way do to floatation but keeping it from rolling the other way because of it's weight, and a lever effect.

You want the shorter pole as the poles will come out of the water faster do to the angle if the are shorter and you then have less drag. Your fishing essentially a trimaran, so you have flotation on both sides and they can be much shorter with your setup then they could be with a single.

For the same reason it's good to use the scotty in the high position as it improves the angle of the pole in reference to the water and once again reduces drag.

I'd make a few other changes as well.

I would carve out the blunt fat end of the floats so they will slip over the T and then notch them so that you can slide them together tight and butt the two big ends together flush. That will make the float into one clean unit, with no open space between the floats to catch water and increase drag.

I would also take the black main tubes heat them up with a heat gun and put a curve in them. That way they can come out of the top of the float be out of the water and will act more like a traditional ourigger from an outrigger canoe.

Nice stuff. Well thought out, well done.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote