View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
iethinker

New Fishing Report 5/2 - Bonefish, Halibut And More!!

Yes...It's a new fishing report!

I thought I would do my civic duty and post a thread. We all have to contribute from time to time. This is from San Diego Bay on 5/2. The water was 71+ degrees and there was no swell!

I went back to the location where I caught my first Bonefish (Click Here) and tried to catch more of them. Also, I explored the area's Halibut potential. The summary is that I was able to catch many Bonefish and one Halibut. Other species were caught as well.

I targeted the Bonefish using fresh shrimp for bait. Thanks local Asian market! This produced the target species on the first cast and first bite...yeah!

First Bonefish of the day:

This little Spotted Bay Bass wanted to play!

Spotted Bay Bass

Soon the wind picked-up and brought some drizzle so I decided to move towards the leeward shoreline. This is where I found the hole containing multiple Bonefish including a 15-inch version that gave me the massive legendary Bonefish fight!!!!! I will definitely return to this "bone-hole" in the future...HA HA!

Here are a few photos of Bonefish that I caught. I did not take photos of them all but you get the idea. The bite was on!

Bonefish(s):

This guy was a real drag ripper!

More:

...and more:

This fun guy was at the bone-hole as well!

Shovel-nose Guitar-fish:

At some point I decided that I no longer wished to touch Bonefish. They have an especially formidable slime on them. On your hands, it becomes almost like a second skin needing to be peeled off if allowed to dry at all. They get this slime everywhere with their violent thrashing when brought into the kayak as well. I guess a water release is better for the fish anyway. The CPR from the water however is not as good...

Next fish.....watershot:

Having my fill of the Bonefish and incidentals, I decide to target Halibut. Switching tackle and finding a suitable area yielded one (and unfortunately only one) sub-legal target species.

Halibut:

It was nice to be entertained through the day even beyond fishing. The show in between bites was courtesy of a synchronized airplane team and music from my new DryVibes bluetooth speaker!

Airplanes flying back and forth over San Diego Bay:

DryVibes blue-tooth waterproof speaker (not my photo):

All fish caught were admired and released to a rock & roll soundtrack!!
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote