View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
My friends and I are planning to catch a Full Day boat out of Long Beach, headed out to Catalina.

We're going before the end of the year, and having never fished there, we have no idea what to expect.

What kinds of fishy friends will we meet out there at this time of year?

I tried looking online but the recommendations run from "10-lb line should be plenty" all the way to "bring the heaviest gear you can afford because you might hook a Tuna out there".

What kind of equipment should I bring? I'm pretty sure my current reel will not have enough line capacity (maxes out at about 100 yards of 25lb mono)... but maybe you don't need to reach the bottom?

Help me fishmasters!
Don't expect anything great, although it's possible to catch a seabass or yellowtail out there too, but your going to have to be that lucky guy. You'll probably catch blue perch, sheephead, whitefish, calico bass, rockfish, groupers...the usual bottom grabbers.

I would definitely bring the 10 pound and 15 pound 20-25, 30....I think that should cover it for a full day but if you want you could bring a 40 pound outfit just in case but your probably not going to need it unless there is a bite in progress. Check the reports before you go, don't see anything exciting happening at catalina for the full day guys at the moment.....and no...no tuna. And don't forget to bring some heavier sinkers...

hope this helps.....