View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Fiskadoro

When I fish SMB I fish 15-20 pound gear, when I fish La Jolla I fish 30-40 pound topshots with spectra, when I fish Catalina I take both. That time of year they will target Seabass or Yellows if they are around. If not they may target bass or shallow water Rockfish. Fishing Yellows and Seabass there is pretty much the same as fishing them at La Jolla, same Irons work, dropper loop works, sliding sinker rigs, flyline all can work etc...

The big difference is bait. At Cat you'll probably be fishing sardines or Squid, which you can fish with the same gear as we fish macks. If the bait situation is screwed they might only have anchovies, then drop down to fifteen and twenty pound. Also if the fish are acting line shy you might want to drop to lighter line. Another thing you need to remember is you have all the bait you want. Put out a bait, if you don't get bit in a few minutes reel in toss the bait and put on a fresh one. When you choose a bait look them over and always choose the biggest best looking bait you see, and change them every drop.

If they set up shallow on any kind of flat or sand consider halibut fishing. Catalina has better quality halibut then most of the inshore fishing, most neglect fishing them but those who do win a lot of jackpots doing it.

I've soaked squid all day for seabass for nothing, then pinned a squid on the dropper and instantly nailed a legal Halibut. The last time I fished Cat from a sportboat we were on the backside fishing for 40-50 pound seabass. They were only biting on squid flylined on a 1/2 ounce sinker. I spent all day with every other fool flylining squid trying to get a C and only one big one was caught.

In contrast another guy got three halibut including a fortyfive pounder about an hour before we left fishing on the bottom. After he got the big one I broke down and fished them as well and I ended up with a decent butt a fifteen pounder, but what still kills me is a hooked and landed a 20 pound seabass as well. Two fish off the bottom in less then an hour compared to all day flylining for nothing. In hindsight should of been fishing dropper loop all day long. Just because everyone else is fishing one way does not mean you have to.

Another thing that's different is that you can't chase fish. That's why you need a lot of line on your reels. Probably every seabass over twenty I've landed there has taken at least a 100 yards on the first run, and I've hooked fish on twenty that I couldn't even stop there.

Also take a lot of terminal tackle, some smaller but strong hooks, and lots of sinkers up to eight to ten ounces. Depending on current and conditions you may need some heavy weights then your used to.

Cats a great place to fish. It can be very hit or miss depending on currents and the weather. I've caught more Yellowtail at Cat then anywhere, more big Calicos there then anywhere, and it's excellent Seabass fishing if they're biting. Hopefully you'll get a good Captain and catch some fish.

Good luck!
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote