Thread: DP 10/15/14
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 06:05 AM   #21
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Awesome! Hope this years influx of inshore beasts become a new set of homeguards for the next couple years. I stress much more the entire fight when I have not retied than I would for the 2 minutes of lost fishing time from the retie. But I still continue to put it off
Yeah, but when the fishing's "HOT" it's hard to justify taking time out to re-tie'
I can tie on a new hook with a Palomar in 30 seconds. On a boat there was no sense in trying to retrieve the hook so I always wrapped the line around my ankle and "snapped" the hook off or cut it off to force me to retie. Trying to retrieve a hook can take almost as much time as tying on a new one!
Also after getting wrapped in kelp I take my line and run it through my fingers "feeling" for frays.
It is' a necessary evil. There's nothing like bringing a huge fish up only to feel the and upon checking your line it broke at a frayed spot!
It took me a couple of 3/5-day trips and many lost fish to figure that out! (Along with some ribbing from the skippers/deckhands I knew or the ones that knew I would take it in stride).
By the time I went on my first 7-day on the RP it was drilled into us by the crew after landing each huge tuna (150#'ers+ on that trip). I lost a couple at color that were estimated over 150lb. Then one over 200# (estimated at 225# on a 10-day Excel) after working him for just over 2 hours(?) and almost being spooled twice on my 50SW, because I hadn't checked the line after landing my last fish(that one I'll always remember as that would have been my personal best!)
With the size/type of fish showing up out here, I'd be out there with fresh line (not used more than 3X or any top-shot).
Knowing the amount of talent here on this site I would not be surprised, if someone really wanted to...I'm sure that someone could have a chance to set a record!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote