View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #10
iethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I was out Sunday n did pretty well on the calicos. Preface this by saying I very rarely fish calicos, am not too skilled at it, and won't work hard at catching them.
After seeing the big counts on the calis I decided to bring a bait caster n a bag of plastics. I caught a yt on the out side and on the way in headed for the children's pool. (actually off boomers) I don't have a meter but if guess I was in 40' of water.saw some birds and a couple Cali boils. Started casting a 1/2 jig heads and a brown swim bait. Got bit about every cast. Landed maybe a dozen n headed in. I was ran thru the plastics cause the bass were so aggressive they were eating the swim baits out of the hooked fish's mouth. On 4 consecutive casts I landed bass with just the jig head in thier mouths. I'm not s light line guy in LJ cause I've hooked big yt while fishing for calis n small bonito n hot myass handed to me. I was using a 30 lb mono leader over 65 lb braid. Fish bit it fine.

So what it's worth, paddle toward the point until you get outside the reserve. Turn south and work between 20-40'. Like usual keep an eye out for birds. Mike

Mike...You have to go for the Cali bite every now and then just for that fun day of high catch counts. Now seems to be the time. Bonus if you get the YT too. Good job!
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote