View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #45
CON KSO

Ok I did find your spot- or close to it. There's a smaller launch spot just to the north of where you guys were at.

But, dang the tide is sooo low in the morning. It would have been almost a quarter mile of mud walking to get to water- there were guys out there walking calf deep harvesting clams or something. So I passed.

I ended up fishing the end of that canal you were talking about- there were those same mangrove jacks you were catching in there- mean little fish, fun to catch.

I ended up bailing further south to La Ventana and am currently at my friend's place and will be on a five day live-aboard trip with some of his clients (he runs a spearfishing/fishing resort here in town).

What I learned from my experience both at Estero Coyote and Mag Bay is that you need to time your trip with tides that will allow you to launch and fish during the best part of the day. I just loaded up and "went for it" and I pretty much got shut down.

Higher tide was later in the day and by then it was crazy windy- and the way the water moves during the big tide changes is something to be seen- it's a river in some spots.

After this boat trip I'm heading back north- I looked at the tide charts and I think it's going to be much better for me- so I'm going to hit Campo Rene/Estero Coyote again for a couple of days. For me, being solo, Estero Coyote is a much more user friendly set up (toilets, showers, restaurant) I paid 150 pesos to park and camp and use their hotwater and toilet when I was there.

I'll report back if any are interested.

Oh yeah, winter time is best in southern Baja for weather. Right now it's overcast and actually cold enough to wear a jacket and sleep in a sleeping bag at Mag Bay. Here in La Ventana it's about 85 and sunny- trolled around on my PA14 today but no takers.

Thanks again for the report- love the photos... don't be afraid to throw up a couple more if you've got the time!
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote