View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #21
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Cali,

Others might be able to answer this question better than I but the main reason I went this route was that when I pulled up my old transducer I found that the goop that had attached it to the hull was full of bubbles. I was never very happy with the performance of my previous FF and have been told that it is important that no bubbles form in the goop as they are likely to cause poor performance.

I have also learned that the most efficient transmitter of sonar signals is water and that for best performance a transducer should be mounted in the water. For some strange reason the hull of a boat does not seem to cause any transmission problems so mounting the transducer in a pool of water inside the hull works very well. This is probably because the density of the hull is fairly close to the density of water.

Anyway, many of the guys who really know what they are doing have gone to the "wet mount" over goop. The problem with the installation method that most have employed up to now is that with the foam version of the wet mount, the water can leak away causing the transducer to perform poorly. I have seen guys on the water having to open their hatch from time to time to add water to the foam well. I wanted to avoid having to worry about this.

My version solves the leakage problem as the whole unit is sealed so the water cannot leak or evaporate. As a bonus, since the transducer is mounted in the rubber cap, it is easily portable to another location making it possible for one FF to be used on multiple boats.

Give it a try. The installation is easy and the materials cost only a few dollars.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote