View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #29
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Wahoo,

I don't think having a rigid or rubber cap makes much of a difference. Most of the rigid ones are threaded so you could end up with some fairly twisted cables unless you pre-twist the opposite way before you put the cap on. Just make sure the transponder is pointed the right direction when you have things tightened down.

I think a rubber cap with hose clamp is a better way to go. You cannot secure a non-threaded rigid cap with a hose clamp the way you can with rubber. You should be able to find a larger rubber cap somewhere.

The inspection plug is a good idea. I had a problem with my FF last time out and thought that the water may have run dry. In ended up having to loosen the hose clamp while on the water to remove the cap to check things out, (it was a PITA). I discovered that there was still plenty of water, however. After putting everything back together, the FF worked fine. Maybe it was just a glitch in the unit.

I think I will add a fill hole to my setup so I can more easily add water if it is needed at some point.

As for cleaning the goop off, I don't have any recommendations. It probably is not necessary to get it all off. You just need to carve away any areas that have bubbles. Is there a solvent for Goop?

Bob
Bob, the 4in. is a rubber cap and does come with the hose clamp, but it is the thickness of the cap and rigidity that worries me. I bought the 3in before I realized my Lowrance transducer was larger than the Hummingbird. The 3in cap is much more flexible.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote