View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #34
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownfan View Post
dsafety...........i keep looking over your wet mount install and second guessing my future attempt at rigging my hummingbird. as of right now i have the hummingbird kit (sitting on the shelf) that craddles the tranny in marine grease. i pick up my yak next weekend and wonder......what will i do. i see the ease of moving the unit to other kayaks (i will only have one option there though) but if the sonar readings are better in water than grease well.....(would the grease make the hummingbird kit a wet mount?) i wonder how well the grease will do upside down if i ever have to store or transport that way.

are you still havin good results from the wet mount?

sorry to bring all this back up - just curious to learn more from your experience. any advice of things you would keep the same/change would be sweet!
I have no experience with the "grease mount" so I cannot help you there. I can tell you that my unit, along with my kayak has been stored upside down for weeks and transported the same way. There have been no leaks and the performance has been excellent, (except for a flaky problem common to many Humminbirds when they suddenly stop showing any depth readings for a while).

My guess is that you could use grease instead of water in my design and everything would work fine. On a really hot day, the grease could liquify and cause some problems, especially if you stored or transported your yak upside down.

I like this design because it is so easy to install and there is virtually no chance of screwing anything up as you can with a goop or epoxy installation. The portability is is nice feature as well.

I hope this helps.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote