View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 02:10 AM   #17
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
I've been using electric motors on kayaks for a number of years and it's always seemed easier for me to deal with a fishing line caught on the motor/prop when the motor/prop was accessible (ie. mid kayak as opposed to in the rear)...especially since I do most of my kayak fishing solo. Getting braid line caught in the prop is a whole other conversation...
Without a prop on the Bixpy my concern is still getting the line snagged somewhere on the drive when it's in the rear of the yak and inaccessible to a solo angler...
What are your thoughts...Raskal...?
Yep that's a very good point, I'm very careful and in the 2ish years I've ran the torqeedo I've only gotten braid in it once. Had to peddle back that day, wasn't fun lol. With the motor at mid ship getting the line stuck in the property is going to be much higher. I've had more issues with running over loose kelp (mostly at night). Pulling the moter up and down a few times typically gets it off but occasionally I will have to craw back there to clean it off; a telescopic galf helps too. Fishing around kelp being about to pull the motor out of the water and putting it back in within a second simply by pulling a rope vs pulling out the entire drive is actually more convenient. Now pulling the motor on a torqeedo evolve out of the well isn't quick and easy due to th prop, the bixpy on the other hand is probably much easier. All that said I still feel strongly that rear mount is the way to go but my perspective is based on my fishing style.

Last edited by Raskal311; 12-15-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote