View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Hey Jim
You're aware I don't run the program... and it's been in existence since 1983...

The first batch of 1,581 fish was released in Mission Bay in 1986.

I've been involved more and more for about the last 15 years. When CCA came into existence a few years ago I was appointed as alternate chair to John Riordan's position on the OREHP Advisory committee and the CCA rep for the WSB program. Before that I've been a volunteer at the Redondo grow-outs all this time and I do a one day a month clean and feed and help with the deliveries and releases.
I'm not a scientist...I'm just interested in the program and the resource.
We have spent a lot of time discussing the merits of earlier releases over the last couple of years in the twice yearly OREHP meetings...nothing happens fast in the science world or with the DFW.
The scientists from Hubbs have been communicating a lot more with the brainiacs from Texas and South Carolina on their successful hatchery programs...THAT ARE WELL FUNDED AND SUPPORTED BY THEIR DFW....!

The hatcheries in South Carolina and Texas that raise Red fish and Sea trout release their fish when they are very small...I may be wrong but I believe it's less that 100 days...
They also raise the fish in large ponds with brackish water that they pump in and they raise them on natural feed...
Both those states strongly support their hatchery programs and fund them to be successful.

This was the first Science Advisory Committee review in the history of the program and it was past due in my humble opinion. We need to fix this program or change it if it's not working...BUT...it's not going to happen if all you WSB fishermen sit on your hands and watch what transgresses.

Posting here is great but the real action and creativity take place in the public forum with the guys in charge and the DFW...

Please show up at the public meetings and offer creative info such as this to Hubbs and the DFW.
It's our program...we fund it...lets make it it what we want.

FYI...a WSB Fishery Management Plan meeting is this Friday at 10am at the DFW Los Alamitos office.

I know Jim. I just know you are invested in this, and I didn't want to hurt your feelings or come across as bashing it. I've always been pro hatchery, I even went on the first halibut collection trip. I figured the Seabass plan was working until that recent report.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote