Thread: WCW press
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
PAL

It was my pleasure and honor to write about the WCW. I have to say a bit sheepishly that I'm in awe of the marvelous catches of the past year. If I can't do it myself, at least I can write about it.

In response to Will: The WCW was newsworthy. I would have covered it in any event Will. After all, the competition was held by a PUBLIC website. Another thing. La Jolla is no secret. I'm a member of the kayak fishing community - I live and breath the sport - I'm sensitive to the need not to reveal too much. You say you aren't much of YT fisherman Will. Why not? You have all the info you need to succeed, right? Maybe it isn't as easy as it looks.

And Will, you touched upon a great point. In a year or two we'll be in the fight of our lives to hang onto our fishing access at La Jolla. You can be damn sure that press documenting LJ as the centerpiece of California kayak fishing will help us in that battle. I've already been standing up for the sport these past two years. The efforts of the KFASC helped direct MPAs away from most of the kayak fishing launch sites in CenCal (Pigeon Pt to Pt Conception), and may even lead to some kayak fishing grounds being labeled marine parklands where only recreational fishing is allowed.

Thanks for bringing up the Mission Bay story again. It's a solid piece that I stand behind. Your claim that my story has impacted that fishery is without merit. How many boats do you see fishing spotties on a typical gorgeous winter Saturday Will? I see the Lawman's boat and maybe one or two others, that's all.

Will, you decry tournaments, yet participate in as many as you can. You complain that fishing pressure is causing further decline of the fisheries, yet you still fish. Are you a hypocrite? Perhaps you wouldn't feel so conflicted if you gave up fishing?
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote