View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Reel Anxious
Flippin' Photographer

Wink "no gaff, no billy,no net, no nothing" no brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidgskinner View Post
Hey there,
Been lurking on this board for a while and had to join in today. I am pretty new to kayak fishing, although i used to take my skiff to the LJ kelp pretty regularly. So today I figured I would head out and try for some bass. i launch around 6:30 (pretty sure some of you were there in that fog) and am making my way out. I figured I would try trolling my old rapala cd 14. It used to work for me, although I didn't really think I would hook into anything since I wasn't too sure how the trolling would go on a kayak. Mistake.
About 20 minutes in I see boiling and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz off it went. Dang if that wasn't panic time, although I got a hold of myself and started fighting. Wasn't sure what I had on but it was a hard puller. So I worked this guy for nearly half an hour, he took at least 4 hard runs down and it was so frickin awesome getting towed by a good fish. Finally, I get him to color and see it is a very nice yellow. At this point I realize I am completely unprepared...no gaff, no billy, no net, no nothing. So after another run I am thinking he's worn out. I get him alongside and was just stoked at how big he is. He is acting all lethargic and had stopped fighting. He is on his side right next to me so I figured I could kil him with the one tool I did bring; my fillet knife. So I punch it right through his gills. No reaction. Blood is pouring nicely out and still no reaction. I figure he's dead so I reach through his gill plate and holy smokes, he woke up! One big flail of tail in my face and snap went the line. Down he went trailing blood and my lure tucked into his jaw.
I just sat there quivering...
So I guess the lesson is, "Don't fish for em unless you ready to deal with them!"
So, after all of that, even after that heartbreak, kayak fishing is just freaking awesome. I will be back and ready next time.
Why would you be trolling a rapalla, while targeting bass, with no means of securing a chance large fish? "Blood is pouring nicely out", "Down he went trailing blood and my lure tucked into his jaw" We have all done dumb things, better left unsaid, but you make this sound like you are writing a novel. Hope you have all your safety precautions in order.