View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
deltadelta
Junior

LJ 08/26 First Yellowtail off kayak

Hit the water around 6:00AM to an easy launch. Peddled out past the reserve for bait, which was pretty much dead. Most people I talked too had a tough time finding and catching bait. I managed to catch one spanish mac at around 8:00 and at around 9:00 I stopped trying. I decided that I could either fish for bait the rest of the day or troll with the one I had and actually start fishing, I obviously chose the later.

I saved the bait in the bait tank till I hit 125 feet of water and then I let her rip. Made my way to 170 feet for nothing and then decided to head back to shallower water. At around 100 feet the reel started screaming and I was hooked on my first yellowtail on my kayak. Got it up to the kayak gaffed it, took some pictures (thank you Mitch for the pictures and advice) and headed back in with a wide smile. The fish measured 35 inches, I didn't have a scale on me so I'm not sure of the weight.

Got home, cleaned it, filleted it, and put in the fridge/freezer for some sashimi/sushi. Just got done eating some of it and it tasted great (hopefully there where no worms). I used the recipe off fishermansbelly.com for the sushi rice and I plan on using the ceviche recipe to make some ceviche tomorrow for lunch (thank you Yanni).

Thanks for everyone who has helped me out and offered their advice along the way! It took a lot of trial and error and a lot of time on the water (6-7 trips) but I finally killed the skunk. I'm definitely hooked and itching till I can get out their again
deltadelta is offline   Reply With Quote