View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #17
chris138
donkey roper

Never mind how you will store the fish... You will never get the thing in your yak without a kage. How many people here have gaffed an 80#+ tuna? 30# nearly capsized me. These fish don't come up to the surface exhausted like yt. They EXPLODE when stuck with the gaff. And they always have another big run in them the first, and sometimes the second, time you get them to gaff.

A 100#+ BF cant be landed with a single gaff, especially not a kayak sized gaff. It usually takes two gaffs and 2 full grown men to keep the fish under control when gaffed. And the first gaff shot typically happens about 2-3' below the surface. Either a flying gaff, or a well placed shot with the kage is the only chance at landing that kayak cow. I also thought a slip tip pole spear could work. Never mind that the pole spear and kage are illegal when angling in socal waters if I'm not mistaken. So before you decide how to fillet your giant bluefin OTW and how many pounds of ice you're bringing... I'd just focus on getting a bite first and go from there haha.

If you get one of these badboys to color... I'd be radioing for help asap
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote